Mr. MacTaggart is a partner in the firm’s Corporate & Securities, Gaming, Real Estate, Taxation, and Trusts and Estates practice groups. His practice emphasizes multi-jurisdictional business and corporate law, tax litigation and consultation, national and international gaming and hospitality, shareholder and partner dispute resolution, business-related aspects of commercial litigation, business formations, acquisitions and reorganizations, including substantial experience with Nevada anti-takeover laws.
He was previously a shareholder with Beckley Singleton, which partnered with Lewis and Roca in 2007. Mr. MacTaggart, who is also a Certified Public Accountant and former international partner in a “Big Four” accounting firm, has counseled a significant number of companies on various multi-jurisdictional transactions, initial public offerings, merger, acquisition and sale transactions, and tax-efficient structuring and operational strategies. He has represented clients and trade associations before state and federal legislative and regulatory bodies in Nevada, California, Wisconsin and Washington, D.C., as well as in Europe.
In a career of over thirty years in Milwaukee, London, Los Angeles, and Las Vegas, Mr. MacTaggart has represented a variety of clients including Southwest Gas Corporation, Southern California Edison, Kimberly-Clark, Johnson & Johnson, MGM Mirage, Mandalay Resorts, Station Casinos, Hilton Hotels Corporation, Boyd Gaming, Horseshoe Gaming, Starwood Resorts, Roman Catholic Diocese of Las Vegas, Bishop Gorman Development Corporation, Peter Lik Galleries, Sage Community Group, Patron Spirits, Steve Wynn, Jack Binion, Bill Boyd, Deutsche Bank, Nevada State Bank, Nevada Community Bank, Credit Suisse International, Waste Management, Tracinda, Elton John, Judith Krantz, Kirk Douglas, Bruce Springsteen, Heart, Barron Hilton, Epic Gaming, Venetian Resort, Stratosphere and John Paul Getty III.
Mr. MacTaggart has taught at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas Graduate School of Business and is currently an Adjunct Professor of Law at UNLV’s Boyd School of Law. He has also been a speaker/panelist at over thirty continuing professional education seminars in the United States, London, Geneva, The Hague, Puerto Rico and Australia.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Nevada Society of Certified Public Accountants, Member
- International Association of Gaming Attorneys, Member
- President’s Inner Circle, University of Nevada Las Vegas, Member
- UNLV Foundation Board of Trustees, Board Member
- UNLV Football Foundation, Board Member and former Board President
- Nathan Adelson Hospice, Board of Trustees Member (Hospice and Foundation Boards)
- Las Vegas Performing Arts Center Foundation (currently in the construction phase of a $475 million performing arts center complex), Committee Chair, Trustee and Founding Member
- Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department Labor-Management Board, Former Chairman
- Nevada Community Foundation, 10 year Board Member
- Center for Compassionate Care, Board of Trustees Member
- Court Admissions
- U.S. Tax Court, 1995
- U.S. District Court, Nevada, 2001
Mr. MacTaggart is listed in the 2007-2009 editions of Mountain States Super Lawyers in the category of Business/Corporate and in the 2009 Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel edition in the category of Business/Corporate. He is also listed in the 2009-2010 editions of The Best Lawyers in America, by Woodward/White, Aiken, S.C. in the category of Corporate Law.
Mr. MacTaggart is listed in the "Who’s Who in Southern Nevada Attorneys," by In Business Las Vegas from 2002 - 2007.